[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Aug 7 02:08:32 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 10:51 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Saturday 07 August 2010 02:16:58 Ross Johnson wrote:
> > Paul Davis wrote:
> > > Why am I adding this to Ardour?
> > > --------------------------------------
> > > * better data on how much Ardour is actually used
> > > * better idea of the balance between OS X and Linux platforms
> > > * a way to alert users that new versions are available
> >
> > Why do you want to know (1) and what consequences could the results have?
>
> Because when you talk to business and/or vendors, it is _far_ better to have
> actual numbers proving them wrong on their estimation of the linux-using-
> userbase. It certainly helps with ffado to see how many people actually use the
> app on which version (and on which devices).

I guess users wish to know for what the data precisely is used.
If there is any commercial interest, it would be ok, it's not damnable,
but the user has to be informed about this.
People might wish to give less information as soon third parties are
involved.

So, who will ever see and use the stored data? What kind of data should
be given to third parties?

"Because when you talk to business and/or vendors, it is _far_ better to
have actual numbers proving them wrong on their estimation of the
linux-using-userbase."

A good argument to store data, but it's also important that the data is
used in context with a third party.

- Ralf