[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

Ross Johnson Ross.Johnson at homemail.com.au
Fri Aug 6 17:16:58 PDT 2010

Paul Davis wrote:
> Why am I adding this to Ardour?
> --------------------------------------
> * better data on how much Ardour is actually used
> * better idea of the balance between OS X and Linux platforms
> * a way to alert users that new versions are available

Why do you want to know (1) and what consequences could the results have?

(2) can be done with a statistical sample via a voluntary registration
dialog on first run after install or update. I.e. the proportion of Mac
v Linux users who register is likely to be roughly the same regardless
of the voluntary/mandatory nature of registration. You probably have
this split already from the subscription details, or could add it there.

(3) could/should be a simple user preference uption.

Essentially, you intend to impose opt-out rather than allow opt-in.

I don't know what you intend with a "watermark" system is but it
suggests "crippleware", i.e. by definitiion a watermark corrupts in some
way whatever is being watermarked and serves no purpose other than to
affect some form of control over it's use.

"Software watermarking methods are employed to secure software from
hacking. Alas, watermarking only can not kill piracy completely. Rather
it is utilised to discourage a pirate from illicitly redistributing
copies of the application. The standard idea of software watermarking is
very similar to media watermarking in which a unique identifier is
enclosed in images, video, text, or audio. In digital media
watermarking, the system is implemented through the creation of
insignificant faults, which are not remarked by users. On the other
hand, software depends completely on an error free functioning. It makes
that the software watermark can't be implemented through error inducing
methods."

I assume you aren't contemplating "media" watermarking, so guess you
mean "software" watermarking. For what purpose? Where is this leading?