[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 6 16:40:06 PDT 2010

> having bad intention

Just comparing the used and the current version isn't a bad intention,
as long as no data is stored and used. Even saving anonym data of used
versions, without asking the user for permission, would violate the
German data protection law.

IMO there's nothing wrong with getting information about newer versions,
but no data should be used for statistics.
OTOH, if statistics are wanted by FLOSS coders, I bet most users would
choice to give this information.

In general I'm against such "phoning home", but for Linux audio (no
commercial interests) I guess it's an advantage regarding to track the
needs of the users, just by watching what version they do use and if
they are ore aren't willing to upgrade soon.