[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Aug 6 16:14:17 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 00:57 +0200, Burkhard Wölfel wrote:
> Am 06.08.2010 um 22:38 schrieb Ray Rashif:
>
> > On 6 August 2010 04:39, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> >> i recently committed some changes to ardour3 that will enable it to
> >> "phone home" (contact ardour.org) as it starts up. i wanted to alert
> >> existing users to this, since it will likely be added to ardour 2.X
> >> as
> >> well.
> >
> > A runtime dialog would be fine upon initial startup (or even at the
> > bottom of the project creation dialog), just a checkbox which is
> > marked by default. The user can uncheck it.
> >

> I agree with Dave and Nedko.
>
> Maybe let Ardour ask once per version. I am sure that if the question
> is short and friendly, enough people will opt in.
>

> - Burkhard

I didn't follow this thread, but anyway I guess I'm able to follow it.

If somebody is fine with the software using now, this person has no need
to switch to another version and of course would be annoyed by any
'information' about a newer software version. IMO getting information
for new audio production software for Linux is important.

So, IMHO there should be the possibility to disable such an option, but
the idea of this option is very good. I would allow "phoning home",
because Linux repositories usually don't care much about 'real' audio
needs ;).

2 Cents