[Ardour-Users] ardour & "phoning home"

m.eik michalke m at openmusiccontest.org
Thu Aug 5 14:51:46 PDT 2010

hi paul,

am Donnerstag 05 August 2010 (22:39) schrieb Paul Davis:
> If anyone has any serious objections to the scheme I'm describing that
> are not addressed in the last section, please speak up.

i think you should be careful not to unintentionally violate german data
protection laws. there were court decisions against ministries of the
government that used google analytics in their web pages. the "duesseldorfer
kreis" (a pool of data protection authorities) enacted a directive concerning
the use of web statistic tools last year, to ensure everyone's privacy. the
important part is the IP address, because it is possible to be traced back to
a person, therefore its storage or use requires the person's explicit
approval. this would apply here, too, because the mechanism is fairly the
same.

to behave in accordance with the directive, you must a) make it explicitly
clear to the user, which data would be stored and for what reason it will be
used, and b) ask for the permission to proceed. it's not enough to offer an
opt-out (that would only suffice if you can assure the IP address won't even
be stored, but anonymised immediately). in any case, you have to offer an easy
way to prevent the calling home.

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
::: http://OpenMusicContest.org   :: music wants to be free