[Ardour-Users] Hm...

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Mon Aug 30 07:19:36 PDT 2010

I wish I had made a desktop recording of the last three hours or so.  I
am a new user to ardour2.

Task: take a recorded WAV file, crop a piece away from the beginning,
pick a point of time where one starts fading out, pick a point of time
where the fade out is complete (alternatively, just pick the point of
time where the fadeout starts and specify a fadeout length).

Save the result from the chosen start position to the end of the
fadeout.

Would you believe that I have not managed yet?  I am amassing project
directories, since not even "quit without saving" is working: invariable
a _lot_ of the previous failed project is saved and interferes with the
new attempt.

So far the only gain adjustment I have found to be possible is from
start of project to end (meaning that the fadeout starts at the
beginning of the recording).

It is, in general, impossible to click on any graphical element with the
intent to change/move/whatever it.  You first, if at all, have to change
some internal ardour modes around (with obscurely named mode switcher
buttons or menu entries elsewhere) to facilitate the desired operation.

I had to restart jack+ardour even in order to manipulate a 44.1kHz file
when jack happened to run at 48kHz sampling frequency.

Of course, leaving another incomplete project (quitting without leaving
anything just is not possible).

This does not make much user interface design sense.  If I want to
manipulate the operation at a certain graphic element, I don't want to
have to move the mouse elsewhere in order to switch into some mode where
this is even possible.

I mean: I am an Emacs user, and not at all confused by it.

--
David Kastrup