[Ardour-Users] maximum file length

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Apr 6 18:59:25 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Kim Cascone <kim at anechoicmedia.com> wrote:
> I just thought I'd ask here - since a quick Google didn't reveal much useful
> info
>
> I'm working on a piece which plays for 24 hours - it won't be played back
> from Ardour
> but from a DVD in some way - any suggestions for this are also welcome :)
>
> and need to know:
> - what is the longest contiguous file length/size I can create in Ardour @
> 24bit/44kHz?
>
> I realize there are limitations to the max file size I can render from
> Ardour

it all depends on the file format.

for WAV (including BWF) and AIFF and several others, the limit is 2GB.
for CAF, WAV64 its 4GB.

ardour itself has no limits (certainly none intended) over and above
the limits imposed by the file format and/or the filesystem you are
working with.

i'll leave the rest of the math to you.

--p