[Ardour-Users] best installation of ardour

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Sep 30 01:54:18 PDT 2009

Jean-Baptiste Mestelan wrote:
> 2009/9/29 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
>
>> 64Studio has its advantages, but also
>> disadvantages.
>>

> Would you care to elaborate a bit ? Just curious ...
>
> Cheers.

Hi Jean :)

this isn't really possible to do, because it depends to the individual
needs of a user.

For me this are the advantages and they do prevail:

    * The vanilla installation set up rtirq, limits.conf etc. and comes
      with a real-time kernel and audio applications like Ardour
    * The audio applications and libraries are optimized to give you a
      stable DAW
    * The packages repository is maintained to always keep the DAW
      stable and the 64 Studio guys do use their packages them self (for
      e.g. Suse you need to use a third party repository like packman,
      they do provide always the latest versions of applications, but
      very often this will make your DAW unstable. If you report them
      what mistakes they made, e.g installing different versions of JACK
      by one package, they start a flamewar, but keep the broken
      package, because they don't use their own packages, even if they
      claim to do this. If they would do, they should notice bad
      packages, that must break every DAW)

IMO this are the disadvantages:

    * Some 32bit applications on a 64bit installation even can't run in
      a 32bit chroot, e.g. LightScribe applications (for e.g. Suse 64bit
      it's no problem to run 32bit applications in the 64bit environment)
    * Sometimes latest versions of applications and libraries are
      better, but it's nearly impossible to install this versions, even
      if 64 Studio is based on a regular Debian or Ubuntu
    * It's optimized for audio, animation, graphics, but not for all
      needs, e.g. older versions of 64 Studio were not able to run Tor
      network applications, while Tor applications for other distros for
      a long time were in the repositories. Compiling some applications
      that are too new isn't possible, because of too many dependencies

Just my 2 Cents. The real-time kernel for 64 Studio never cause any
trouble, this might be because it's well tuned to run on a real-time kernel.

Cheers,
Ralf