[Ardour-Users] best installation of ardour

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Sep 29 03:20:54 PDT 2009

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, jonathan wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what is the best way to install ardour. Should I just
>> install the package from my distro or should I download it form the
>> site. If I do get it from my distro which is the best for ardour? If I
>> download it from the site and there is an update for ardour is it easy
>> to update or do I have to redownload the whole program again to get the
>> update? Thanks for your help.
>
> A lot of that depends on what distro you're using, but generally it's
> better to use the package management tools that are provided by your
> distro.  Those tools often make the task of resolving dependencies
> much easier.  Note that some distro maintainers take longer than
> others to make updates available, so if you need some functionality or
> a bug fix that's only available in the latest SVN build, then you
> might need to roll Ardour from source.
>
> Many distros (Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Arch, and several others
> that I'm aware of) will run Ardour well, so your choice of distro is
> largely based on your experience and comfort level and other concerns,
> such as how easy it is to get your audio interface working with a
> particular distro.
>
> To get the most out of Ardour, you need to have a kernel that's built
> for real-time operation, which requires either the application of a
> set of patches to your existing kernel source tree, getting an
> already-patched kernel source tree, downloading and installing a
> package that contains a pre-built kernel that includes the real-time
> patch cluster.  How you accomplish that is, again, based largely on
> your choice of distro.
>
> jms

Full ACK.

If you like to do arts with Linux, 64 Studio is a very comfortable,
stable distro that is set up for real-time usage by default and ships
with audio, animation, graphic applications by default. It has it's
advantages, but also disadvantages. I prefer 64 Studio. The actual
3.0-beta3 is stable.

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/64studio.com/installer/

Ralf