[Ardour-Users] Destructive editing

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Oct 31 02:53:18 PDT 2009

On 10/31/2009 07:48 PM, Ray Rashif wrote:
> 2009/10/31 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
> <mailto:paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>>
>
>     On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Rob Quin <robquin at uklinux.net
>     <mailto:robquin at uklinux.net>> wrote:
>     > This topic has kind of been covered before but I want to take a
>     slightly
>     > different approach.
>     >
>     > I have several recordings which I made on my portable
>     multi-tracker. They are
>     > mostly 5-track. Generally 15 to 25 minutes long with 2 to 3
>     minutes of useful
>     > audio in amongst the bad takes and studio chat. I want to rough
>     edit most of
>     > the useless information off these tracks before I import them
>     into ardour for
>     > final editing.
>
>     Why? You can do everything you outline without this step.
>

> I think he wants to work on the edited tracks - I do that all the time
> with drums (limiting and normalising). It's a workflow some of us feel
> more comfortable with. And I use Audacity, it can render stems/"export
> multiple tracks".

Sure you can do it in audacity, sweep, rezound, snd, and several other
multi track editor apps.

However you could also just embed the tracks in a session and trim the
start points then either "print" or record the tracks to a new track or
export the tracks or even just the selected area to disk and reimport them.

I'm not sure why Rob has the impression that Ardour has issues with
performing this relatively simple task. I haven't experienced any
problems doing this with ardour for several years now.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd