[Ardour-Users] Has anyone built 2.8.3 on a KDE system?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 30 03:41:22 PDT 2009

Hi All,

I've mentioned this on the forum but tracking down the problem is proving difficult.

I've got a problem building Ardour 2.8.3 and I think it might be to do with building it on a KDE4-based system. It doesn't build or install the internal clearlooks module, so the GUI looks very strange indeed. Also the performance compared to 2.8 (which builds fine) is very poor, usually losing connection to JACK after a few seconds of playback or immediately upon starting. The GUI redraw performance is abysmal and so I think this is creating the JACK problem.

I've now tried this on 2 different KDE4 systems - Mandriva 2009.1 and Kubuntu 9.10 and I get exactly the same behaviour on both (except that 2.8 doesn't build at all on the Kubuntu box but that's a different problem).

Does anybody out there run 2.8.3 on a 'pure' KDE4-based system? Have you built it successfully?

BTW I have been able to install 2.8.2 from repositories on both these systems but the packages are built with SYSLIBS turned on and LV2 turned off which means I get no support and I can't run the plugins I need (sigh). I'd therefore very much like to get 2.8.3 to build. If anyone can offer any help (apart from 'Use Fedora' ;) ) it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark