[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 build problem

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Oct 8 17:14:38 PDT 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 07:52:59 pm Henry W. Peters wrote:
> So if you are saying, even if you know better (re installation) & have
> problems where documentation is not (at the least) apparently
> available... too bad... or what?   & are you really saying you (who ever
> "you" is) are not interested in some one actually trying to learn? That
> would be just too sad.

I think the point you might be missing is that Ardour 3 is very much pre-alpha
and under heavy development.  My take on it was that only developers of Ardour
should be attempting to build Ardour 3 at the moment.  When a beta release is
available there will be an announcement, I would expect.

The developers are trying their hardest to get the development work done for
Ardour 3.0; honestly, handholding a fresh user/developer into the process
would distract from the work being done in the development.  And it's not a
'too bad, so sad' situation; it's simply that Ardour 3.0 is not suitable at
the moment for anyone but someone who is an Ardour developer.

And, FWIW, I am not an Ardour developer, but one who would love to be using
Ardour 3 myself.  Which is one reason I'm not distracting any Ardour
developers by asking questions about building Ardour 3.0 myself for normal use
(and it's not ready for normal use, at least that's what I keep seeing).

Currently 2.8.2 is the latest non-SVN release, and 2.0-ongoing is the stable
SVN.  The 3.0 SVN isn't stable (or even alpha, much less beta) yet.