[Ardour-Users] Destructive editing

Rob Quin robquin at uklinux.net
Sun Nov 1 15:00:16 PST 2009

On Saturday 31 October 2009 02:05:47 Paul Davis
<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Rob Quin <robquin at uklinux.net> wrote:
> > This topic has kind of been covered before but I want to take a slightly
> > different approach.
> >
> > I have several recordings which I made on my portable multi-tracker. They
> > are mostly 5-track. Generally 15 to 25 minutes long with 2 to 3 minutes
> > of useful audio in amongst the bad takes and studio chat. I want to rough
> > edit most of the useless information off these tracks before I import
> > them into ardour for final editing.
>
> Why? You can do everything you outline without this step.
>
> --p

If I just import the raw tracks into Ardour, it makes resampled 32bit copies.
Approximately 10 % of this file is useful, 90% is a waste of space. This
effectively turns a 1TB hard drive into a 100GB drive. My primary concern is
to save disk space. If I can do that easily from within Ardour then that
would be great but I haven't worked it out yet.

Thankyou to everyone who posted replies. I'll be working through the ideas
raised during the next week.

Rob