[Ardour-Users] Can anyone help with a Linux problem ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:28:15 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> John Emmas wrote:
>>>
>>> Another idea....  I can see root's desktop but not my own - and yet
>>> gnome-panel is apparently running.  So is there possibly something about
>>> the
>>> *appearance* of my own desktop that's causing this problem?  Is there a
>>> config file that controls things like my desktop appearance? (background
>>> etc).  If so, I could try deleting it and see what happens.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> Even if you killall [...], when you start the session it might be, that
>> the last session will be restored and this might restore the panel conflict
>> too. I dont know if it will be when running startx, you also can try to run
>> gdm instead of startx.
>
> Padon :(
>
> is there the panel message before GDM appears?

gnome-panel has always worked well for me but my wife has had numerous
problems where the only way we ever solved them was to delete all the
.gnome directories in the user account and then essentially start over
from scratch as far as Gnome was concerned. We both run Gentoo. I
upgrade most machine at the same time. I'm 64-bit while she's 32-bit,
but still it's been a problem for her.

- Mark