[Ardour-Users] Can anyone help with a Linux problem ?

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 28 03:09:33 PDT 2009

Strictly speaking, this isn't an Ardour problem but it was Ardour that
necessitated the change so maybe someone can offer me advice on it.

I've been running Ardour for about 2 years under 64studio.  Back in March I
decided to upgrade from my previous stable version (Ardour 2.4) to Ardour
2.8.  Unfortunately, 2.8 was maxing out my processor when playing certain
sessions so I had to revert to 2.4 until I could find an opportunity to look
for a solution.

The most obvious problem was that my graphics chip (Nvidia GeForce 440 Go)
was using the open source "nv" driver which turned out not to have any
hardware acceleration.  Fortunately, Synaptic would allow me to install the
offical "nvidia" closed source driver which does (apparently) support
hardware acceleration.  AFAICT, these are the required steps:-

1)  Upgrade my kernel to version 2.6.21-1-multimedia-486 (this specific
version is required by the nvidia driver).
2)  Install a kernel module which is needed by the nvidia driver.
3)  Install the appropriate driver.
4)  Make a couple of minor changes to xorg.conf so that it uses the new
driver.

A few days ago I finally found an opportunity to install the new driver but
to my horror, it seems to have prevented 64studio from booting up.  All
I get is a plain white background instead of my desktop.  If I press
CTRL+ALT+F1 this takes me back to a terminal which happens to be the
64studio login prompt.  So is it possible that for some reason I'm simply
not being logged in any more?  If that was the case I'd expect X to launch
with a login box displayed but in fact, I don't see anything at all - just a
plain white screen.

Can anyone offer any advice about tracking this problem down?

Thanks,

John