[Ardour-Users] can I run FFADO for audio and alsa MIDI devices under jack?

allan k sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 26 06:29:52 PDT 2009

Hi All

Just as written above. I have just bought a Saffire Pro 10 i/o so I can
use it both with my PC (linux) and my  Mac Powerbook (older PPC).. but
am considering moving across to a laptop platform (as my external
sequencer is dying)... I also have a very extensive MIDI setup with a
couple of controllers and numerous devices hanging off 2 emagic AMT
8's.

I can see that the ALSA midi devices exist but they don't become jack
MIDI devices in this configuration, even with the MIDI on the Saffire
Pro turned off. This is using jack svn both versions (1.x and 2.x,
although latency performance on 2.x is superior).  I'm sure this must be
possible as there must be numerous people with USB control devices and
firewire audio.

So, is this possible with jack if so how do it do it?
If it's not currently possible, is it likely that at some time in the
future it will (a rough estimate of how long would also be nice to work
out if I need to return the device or persevere with a workaround (and
sell my delta 1010)?

cheers

Allan