[Ardour-Users] very big latencies..

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Mar 25 16:05:05 PDT 2009

Sampsa Riikonen wrote:
> On Friday 20 March 2009 08:40:20 am you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been using OpenSuse 11.0 too and Packman used to have the current
>> version of Jack but then they had some problems with the packages (it
>> seemed to be a dependency problem between jack and jack2) and they
>> ended removing them completely. The only jack left then is the 0.109
>> one in the official Suse repos. I've been using the jack 0.116
>> packages made by Rui for Suse 11.0: http://www.rncbc.org/jack/old/

Please tell this to the package builders, when I reported this it became
a flame war and I was stalked through several forums and called troll. I
was the one who reported the invalid Suse packages, while a lot of
people had broken their audio Suses before, but didn't reported it to
the right people. I'm still using Suse, Suse sometimes has advantages,
but for someone who will install packages with stable audio
applications, I recommend to use another distro.

> I got dependency hell..  first, "libjack" needs "jack" who needs "freebob"
> .. and that last one is not available in x86_64 in that Rui guys rpm
> collection.
>
> What a pity.  I have to start using alsarecord again! ;(
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sampsa
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hector
>>
>> 2009/3/17 Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>:
>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Sampsa Riikonen
>>> <sampsa.riikonen at iki.fi>

>>> then you will continue to get these latency messages. Did you see what it
>>> said on jackaudio.org? Please complain to SuSe and get them to release a
>>> newer version of JACK. This is ridiculous.

It's not Suse, but Packman and the package builder ignores any hints or
requests.

Again, if you aren't able to compile this stuff yourself, than you
better use another distro. Suse has a special way of mixing x86 and
x86_64 stuff, this has advantages and disadvantages and also they seems
to ignore some rules of package building, but I'm not fine with the
rules for package building.

Cheers,
Ralf