[Ardour-Users] Donating to Ardour

Stephen Doonan stephen.doonan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 10:49:43 PDT 2009

Hello-- I think it's a great idea that people can donate to the "bugs"
of their choice, in addition to one-time general donations or
subscriptions (I'm a subscriber myself). I just have two
comments/suggestions:

1) The idea might be better as donations for requested features and bug
fixes, not just bug fixes. For example, the feature I would most like to
see work proceed on, and for which I am going to donate $100 myself, is
the MIDI functionality, which is more of a feature than a bug. :-)

2) It's not as easy for a person to contribute as it could be, and
making it as easy as possible may (will probably, in my opinion)
increase the number of donations. At mantis, it's not obvious how and
where to donate, and even if one has the insight to know that one must
register with Mantis in order to donate, those are a few extra steps
(registering, confirmation email, finding the mantis page again or going
back to Ardour.org and starting over with the link) that are just more
hurdles to jump before one can actually donate. A simple list of feature
requests and bugs with "PayPal Donate" buttons beside them might be a
lot more efficient and "friendly" to a web-browsing public.

The object in my opinion should be to make it as attractive, obvious and
easy as possible to donate money to Ardour.

Best wishes,
Steve Doonan
Portales, New Mexico US