[Ardour-Users] Live Recording Techniques

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jul 20 23:47:06 PDT 2009

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> If possible, set up an ambient mic or two some distance away from the
> choir, if logistics and room space permit.  That's often a much more
> affective way to get some of the room acoustics

If it's a high room and you have the right tripods use 2 overhead mics.
I once watched Al Schmitt recording an orchestra. I was impressed
because of the good reverb, he laughed and told me, that he didn't add
reverb, but he had 2 overheads, that recorded the room. If you can't do
overhead mics, but as Justin told you, "distanced mics", take care not
to record too much sonic that is reflected from the floor. Maybe you can
do a sound check before you do the recording, take care that you won't
get troubles because of phases, e.g. check if nothing will be eliminated
when you listen to mono.

!!! You should record ambience this way, but do it on separated tracks,
so you can chose later to add it or not.