[Ardour-Users] Tempo Ramp

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Fri Jan 30 09:10:54 PST 2009

On Friday 30 January 2009 17:04:47 Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-30 at 07:42 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Is there a way to ramp tempo up or down in ardour?  I need to record
> > songs that do that.  Mostly they speed up to a point, then cut down
> > to half tempo, building tempo again to the end of the song.
>
> not possible to do ramping. you have to insert each change yourself.
> sorry.

Creating an Ardour session with dozens or even hundreds of tempo or meter
changes is tedious, so I wrote a script to do that for me. See
http://das.nasophon.de/klick/, the script klick2ardour.py is at the bottom
of the page.

Basically it reads a tempo map (a simple text file) that describes the
structure of the song, and writes that to an Ardour session. The tempo map
format is described at http://das.nasophon.de/klick/manual.html#tempomap.

klick even supports "true" tempo ramps (no steps). Since Ardour doesn't, the
script generates one tempo change per beat. I hope that's close enough :)

Dominic