[Ardour-Users] Sync between internal and external sources

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jan 21 15:23:51 PST 2009

Hi :)

depending to the hardware and what else needs to be synced, it will
become impossible to compensate timing problems, because jitter can
become a serious issue, that said that some time ago JACK transport
itself had a serious sync problem, but that might be cleared out now.

I don't know any musician in my social environment that's fine with
music productions done by Linux, independent if they are doing
homerecording or top level professional productions. I was a Linux only
user since November 2003, but since this month I've a Windows install
too. I'm still using Linux for anything, but multimedia production, but
also under Windows, I'm using some FLOSS, that I tried to use under Linux.

Some people aren't able to sense the quality problems for Linux and
multimedia, some really might not have quality problems, but I never
heard a audio production that was fine.

I still will test Linux for audio and video again and again, but I need
a Windows install, because of problems, like the sync problem. There are
no troubles with Windows for me until now, with the same hardware.

I recommend you Mark Greenwood, to listen to some Linux productions
yourself and to reason yourself, if what you wish to do is possible by
using Linux.

Cheers,
Ralf
<https://mailstore.alice-dsl.de/exchange/ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net/Posteingang/%5BArdour-Users%5D%20Sync%20between%20internal%20and%20external%20sources.EML/?cmd=editrecipient&Index=-2>