[Ardour-Users] Sync between internal and external sources

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 21 06:50:02 PST 2009

I've thought very hard about this question and now my head hurts.. I'm
wondering about how, if at all, Jack/Ardour ensures that all sound
sources stay in sync.

Let's assume for the moment that I'm capable of playing an instrument
such that I'm in perfect sync with a drumbeat.. (this is a big
assumption but we have to start somewhere.. :))

I'm using Jack. I have Ardour set to JACK Time Master. I have Hydrogen
set up to sync to Jack and play a beat. I have Ardour set up to record
me playing the bass through my soundcard. I press the Play button -
Hydrogen starts playing, I start playing, Ardour starts recording me.

Question 1 : When I play back my recording of me playing bass, and have
Hydrogen playing along - are they in sync? Or is my bass part now
delayed relative to Hydrogen by a value equal to the latency of my sound
card?

Question 2 : When, at a later date, I mix down by recording the output
from Hydrogen into tracks in Ardour, does the sync change?

I ask because it sounds like I'm not in sync with my drums but I don't
know if it's me.... It might be that the answer to this is so obvious
that I can't see it for looking. I do know I can't see it... please
help.. :)

Mark