[Ardour-Users] financial ideas commentary

Harold ardour at sait.nl
Mon Jan 19 09:13:01 PST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 12:02:39 -0500, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I have been tossing around ideas about things like that in my head.  If
> Launchpad was already open sourced I might seriously look at something
like
> that, I like the ideas in it, like automated deb building, but I haven't
> used the system myself to know how good it is.  Would be great if it
could
> create a build based off patches in the bugtracker for instance for
> testing.  But the other side of this is it inoly covers so much.  While
> debian based distributions are fairly common these days, so still are RPM
> based distributions and a few other oddballs.  So building packages for
> each
> possible combination of system out there gets to be a lot of work in
itself
> quickly as well.

Well, I'd expect Ardour to invest it's time in the most commonly used
environments and maybe factor in an 'average skill level' of the users on
that platform.

For example: Ubuntu is quite easy to install and thus attracts a lot of
inexperienced users. Other distro's (designed specifically for use in a
studio) requires a more experienced user and those tend to build Ardour
themselves from source.

IIRC, Launchpad's source is scheduled to be released somewhere in the near
future...

-H-