[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Jan 9 01:20:06 PST 2009

rob wrote:

> I haven't thought this through, but...
>
> How about an Ardour internet-radio station?  Augment Ardour export
> menu with export->Ardour-radio.
>
> Require that user is a subscriber (monthly, annual) to upload to the
> station  (no fuss after 'proof' of subscription, works just like export).
>
> Rotate user uploads in an automated playlist, and offer for download
> on the website.
That's a good idea. It could initially be tied into the LAM site but
hosting space/bandwidth is a bit of a headache with this one. Still it
could provide funded jobs for a couple of web programmers. Maybe it
could be integrated with the iTunes store?

In fact why not set up a system to take on iTunes? It's a long term
project but it might work.  For example we could partner with the
"indamixx" team, other hardware manufacturers and distributions to
provide a complete turnkey solution.

I have to wonder though, why is it that we expect users to contribute to
the development process and the only way for them to do it is via the
Ardour website which requires an internet connected computer but we
don't want to have Ardour itself connect to the internet and are not
interested in providing a fast and easy way for new users to get
involved directly integrated into the interface?

Instead we have a cute little reminder after the user has spent hours of
their life working with the tool suggesting that they should really
think about contributing. It could be taken to mean "we want you to
contribute but we don't really care because you have already done
everything you wanted to apart from the last step".

It's also possible that we could have an overlay with price tags for
every section that needs or has been flagged for attention. If the tag
was clicked it would take the user directly to the mantis page so they
could pledge or donate...

The main point I am getting at here is that we are able to build and
automate these features. We could actually make funding Ardour an
addictive process so that people will be unable to control themselves
from parting with their cash. Thereby making it possible to employ
multiple programmers, improve the software, provide a medium for artists
and labels to promote themselves, and most importantly create a buzzing
and productive community based around Ardour.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.