[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:15:29 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com
> wrote:

> We also have the bounty system which is failing miserably. In a recent
> discussion it was found that the highest anyone has offered for a new
> feature on Mantis is around $80. Nearly all of the features require
> significant effort to make them happen.

Hmm well I know that was beaten, but not by much.  Speaking of which I still
need to make a donation to fulfill a bounty pledge I made that Carl has a
patch in Mantis for already(Which means it may be back down to $80 now, I
have to check)

It's fairly simple to add a window which can show subscription/donation info
> and Mantis bounties directly in the software. It could just be an embedded
> html view using an existing browser dispalying the ardour website. It's not
> much effort to add a news feed so people are kept upto date without having
> to lift a finger. It's a little more effort to make the window into a
> central point for community involvement. By ensuring the interface is self
> updating and relevant it will give users incentive to participate. Most
> users don't want to and can't be bothered keeping track of the website to
> find out what is happening. If it was easily accessible to them and the info
> was relevant then more people would make some time to contribute.

Hmm, as I mentioned in the past, I personally am in favor of how it is
currently set up.  It COULD be worth it to add in a feed from the website of
current donation/goal status to the current nag dialog, not rendered HTML or
anything, just connect to a RSS feed or similar and extract the amounts if
that is easily possible.

> Humans want to be involved in communities. We are social creatures. Maybe
> not all the people on this list but for better or worse the people on this
> list have become the minority user base now.

Until the last line I was about to  say something;)

       Seablade