[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

moron moron at industrial.org
Thu Jan 8 11:33:36 PST 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 11:05:10 moron wrote:
> Howdy.  The GPL requires that if you use other GPL source and you
> distribute the results, your source must be made freely available.  You can
> charge a *small* fee for stuff like a CD containing the source but it still
> must be made available.

Howdy and sorry for the noise but I was apparently wrong on charging for
source distribution:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-
faq.html#TOCDoesTheGPLAllowDownloadFee

-------------
Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my
site?

Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program.
If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide “equivalent access”
to download the source—therefore, the fee to download source may not be
greater than the fee to download the binary.
-------------

So charging for SVN access would be OK but probably pointless as the code
could immediately be re-distributed (by the ubuntustudio folks for example).

There is also this which might relate to any potential nagware:

-------------
Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must
pay me a fee and/or notify me?

    No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If
people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to
notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition
of free software.

Cheers

--
http://industrial.org