[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 06:51:21 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

> If users are forced, or even too strongly pushed, to pay for Ardour,
> then buying ProTools doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

<SNIP>

As a current Pro Tools user, believe me, it's the devil you know for
the devil you don't know.

Even Pro Tools M-Powered, which I'm using right now, is pretty
expensive for a new user at (I think) about $300. Depend on Digi to
give you an update about once a year for maybe $150 or so. That's
north of $10/month just for the updates. Very few plugins included.
License files for everything. Limited hardware alternatives. Almost
non-existent technical support. Pay big bucks for nearly every add-on.

It **REALLY** depends on what a user is looking for. I find Ardour to
be very competitive with PT-MP and PTLE, but only in the very specific
areas it has chosen to compete. It is unfortunately not competitive if
Ardour lets Digi set the playing field but I don't believe it has to
do that.

Cheers,
Mark