[Ardour-Users] Could this solve Ardour's financial headache?

moron moron at industrial.org
Wed Jan 7 22:19:52 PST 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 21:37:55 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> It wouldn't be a separate binary. It would be a License key that you
> input in the config dialog to be able to disable the ticker panel. You
> purchase a one time or yearly payment of say $10 and you get a unique
> key to disable it. I have seen this exact system with the acajoom
> newsletter module for Joomla. Those guys are making lots of cash and
> actively developing and growing their open source software. Of course if
> you subscribe then you get the license key anyway.

Howdy.  If Ardour did something like this you would be guaranteed to fork the
codebase.  It goes against FOSS concepts for one not to mention that it would
be be trivial to de-spam that portion of the code unless they tried to Tivo-
ize it in some way (probably not possible since this is not an embedded
system).  Heck, I would do it myself if I found it disruptive enough.

Ardour is not shareware and presumably the author(s) knew what they were doing
when they chose the GPL license for their software.  I would suggest that you
take a look at the GPL if you have not done so already:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html

As an aside, if you are seeing this sort of nagware scheme in a Joomla module
it very likely a *closed source* compiled module (using ioncube or the Zend
encoder) and may even be contravening the GPL license that Joomla was released
under.

Cheers

--
http://industrial.org