[Ardour-Users] Freeze a track?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu Jan 1 14:56:21 PST 2009

On Thursday 01 January 2009 21:52:22 Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> As a general comment, not directed directly at the post I'm answering:
> I agree: "who reads manuals?" is in the middle of the whole question.
> That's why it is handy and "easy" to keep the processing "perfect". This
> way users don't come screaming to us when the post-fader distortion
> effect doesn't work as expected when unfreezing as the user has used the
> track fader. They do come screaming about not being able to move the
> damn thing! :)
> I sort of like the idea about only freezing pre-fader effects, but there
> is one big issue with it. What plugins are resource heavy? Reverbs.
> What's usually placed post-fader? Reverbs.

I usually use one reverb/acoustic environment (or maybe two) for the whole
session as (you might guess it) post-fader send.

> This is a classic example of how the ethos of making everything flexible
> (like how you can have as many inputs and or outputs as you like) is
> costly on the user interface side.

What about adding two kinds of freeze? One pre-fader and one post-fader. Or
one freeze and pre/post can be set as global setting.

And post-fader freeze should be called that way and do what its name says,
freeze everything (including pan and volume) directly before the master-send.

I just realize that post-fader freeze poses another problem: How do you
"freeze" sends that send a signal from before a modifying effect? (Applies to
pre-fader sends too...

Have fun,

Arnold