[Ardour-Users] new VST code in SVN

Jostein Chr. Andersen jostein at vait.se
Sat Feb 21 14:07:39 PST 2009

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid that this package don't compile on my machine and I have no
idea how to fix it:

Paul Davis wrote:
> try a new test build, I'd appreciate some feedback (remember to add
> VST=1 to the scons command).

At revision 4647 and with this command lines:

It compiles with VST=0, but that is not what we want, so when using...

scons PREFIX=/usr LV2=1 FFT_ANALYSIS=1 FREESOUND=1 VST=1

...I get:

libs/pbd/fpu.cc: In constructor ‘PBD::FPU::FPU()’:
libs/pbd/fpu.cc:66: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
strict-aliasing rules
{standard input}: Assembler messages:
{standard input}:167: Error: bad register name `%rbx'
{standard input}:168: Error: bad register name `%rax'
{standard input}:170: Error: bad register name `%rdx'
{standard input}:171: Error: bad register name `%rbx'
{standard input}:278: Error: bad register name `%rbx'
{standard input}:279: Error: bad register name `%rax'
{standard input}:281: Error: bad register name `%rdx'
{standard input}:282: Error: bad register name `%rbx'
scons: *** [libs/pbd/fpu.os] Error 1

Some system data: Tried with G++ 4.2.4, 4.1 and 3.4 (because it seems to
be a GNU as problem). Distro: Ubuntu 8.04 with jack 1.9.1 on a AMD 64
bit machine with 2 cores. I used 'alias g++="g++-4.1"' for trying other
than the default 4.2.

>From what I see on the web, the problem use to be 1 32/64-bit problem,
and the compiling output shows this (among other things): -DARCH_X86
even when using this on the command line:

scons PREFIX=/usr LV2=1 FFT_ANALYSIS=1 FREESOUND=1 VST=1
DIST_TARGET=x86_64 .

I don't really need VST anyway, but some of the Linux VSTs looks reaaly
nice so it would be cool if this problem can be solved. I will get some
sleep and see if it helps to add new files from the LMMS project or find
some new command line parameter that do the trick tomorrow.

..and anyway: Thanks for making Ardour, I hope that you and yours
(family) finally ends up to have a decent live by working on this
project. Despise "anyone" says it's impossible to make a living of this,
it seems to me that you are (slowly) getting closer and closer. I really
hope you manage it before going crazy or bankrupt. Ardour need a
fulltime worker like you.

With gratitude:
Jostein