[Ardour-Users] SATA RAID - hardware or software?

Ross Johnson Ross.Johnson at homemail.com.au
Fri Feb 20 04:51:16 PST 2009

I've only directly experienced Dell Perc SAS RAID controllers under
Redhat Linux at work for databases etc. and I'm not sure if they're
supported well in non-Dell systems. We have no trouble with those. Have
you looked into SAS RAID controllers. My point is that SAS is faster
than SATA and hardware RAID has to be better than software RAID if only
because of the CPU cycles it offloads. You can still use LVM on top of
your hardware RAID if you want flexible logical volumes.

I had a quick look around and see there are several that claim
substantial Linux support.

For example, one of them (Highpoint Technologies for RocketRAID 4320 SAS
RAID Controller//) claims: "HighPoint is committed to providing
resources that make it easy to develop Linux solutions using our RAID
controllers. Our RAID drivers are embedded in Linux kernel 2.6.x and
greater, and we work aggressively to ensure that they are included in
each successive kernel distribution. The HighPoint device driver
integrated into the Linux kernel is open source. The driver sources can
be downloaded from the HighPoint web site and compiled for
custom-designed Linux environments."