[Ardour-Users] SATA RAID - hardware or software?

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 19 19:09:53 PST 2009

Hi Justin

I have been using software RAID 0 for some time on 2 * 80 GiB single platter SATA
drives.

My setup only has 8 inputs so I can't tell you for sure the result of your
intended setup, however I have not had any throughput issues recording 8 channels
on top of 16 or more existing channels at 48Khz or 96Khz with a period size of 64
and 3 buffers. This is with an M-Audio Delta 1010 recording from the direct outs
of my mixer. This is on a 64 bit Gentoo system on a core2 E6600. For the most
part the system actually runs at the lower clock of 1600MHZ while doing audio
even under fairly heavy plugin load, it only ever seems to clock up to the full
2400 MHZ when compiling apps.

I use XFS as the filesystem with a write allocation of only 64 MB. I am keen for
the release of btrfs to see if this will improve the write speed.

That being said I will be probably moving to an SSD (non RAID) based system later
this year primarily for the silent nature of the drives combined with the very
fast write speeds available.  I may possibly just opt for a single platter drive
for the system and an SSD for the recording drive.

I use an Antec Take 4 rackmount that sits at the bottom of my rack unit but find
that the 4 drives create a bit of noise and vibration through the case even
though the drives are mounted on silicon grommets.  This is what is making me
re-think the setup.

cheers

Allan

On Thu Feb 19 21:50 , "Justin M. Streiner"  sent: