[Ardour-Users] financial ideas commentary

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Wed Feb 18 19:48:55 PST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 08:20:45AM +0100, Paul Davis wrote:
> I should probably weigh in on the ongoing discussion about ways to
> "solve Ardour's financial headache". This is long, and very personal.
>
> Let me start by saying that there are really *two* financial headaches.
> One of them belongs to solely to the actual project itself. Anything
> that raises any amount of money that can be used to somehow move the
> project forward in any way is a good thing, and should be welcomed.
> Because of widespread variations in individual motivation, and perhaps
> more importantly, typical income levels, it is quite likely that
> relatively small amounts of money could stimulate the addition of useful
> features. Therefore, even though many of the ideas that have been posted
> here are frankly likely to produce only very very small amounts of
> revenue, they are worth pursuing for the sake of the project itself.
>
> There is a second financial headache, however, and that is *my*
> financial headache. I have the "misfortune" to live in the United
> States, and to be the father (or stepfather) of several children. This
> means that I have to be concerned about long term costs like health
> insurance, college tuition for my children, and retirement for myself
> and to some extent my wife.  Most people in the US in my position (45
> years old, 23 years experience as a software engineer, father, husband)
> are in of two situations: either they are earning a substantive salary,
> along with health insurance, some kind of pension plan and possibly
> other benefits too, or have some kind of ownership in their own company.
> In the latter case, they are relying on a steady and substantive income
> stream from the company, and/or the idea of it being acquired, to assure
> them of their longer term financial well-being. I have the luxury of
> doing neither.
>
> Ardour has a very low income stream, and cannot be sold. If I am not
> making sensible money doing this, then I probably need to stop. I have
> the good fortune to have relatively low day to day living expenses - I
> don't owe money on a house, I don't commute to work, I spend more time
> running or cycling than I do drinking or paying for various recreational
> activities. However, as mentioned above, there are other costs whose
> magnitude I cannot control very effectively. The cost of a college
> education, the cost of health insurance (I have none, by the way and
> neither does my wife), the long term finances needed to cover the later
> part of life ... these are not things that I can just scrape by on.
>
> Being in the USA also means that I live in a place where, economic
> disaster notwithstanding, I could probably get a job writing software
> that paid me anywhere from US$80k to US$140k per year, possibly more if
> I did something really distasteful.
>
> In addition to all this, and at the risk of sounding a bit overly
> impressed with myself, I work way too damn hard on a project that nets
> [...]

Wow. I feel your pain. I'm a musician. Which means, at the moment, I make 1/10th of what you make.

Every single idea for making money through music, that I or anyone else has come up with, quickly turns out to be either some hare-brained scheme that'd never work, or an investment of cost, time, and/or risk for piddling little, if any, pay.

At this point I'm pretty much giving up and looking around for some kind of a day job(s). Everyone has to eat. Being poor sucks, but being poor and working your ass off, just to get even poorer? That's neither sustainable nor healthy in the long run.

So, I think what I'm saying is: your financial skills are NOT in any way substandard. You are doing remarkably, stunningly well, considering that an entire economic system is arrayed against you.

What you are trying to do (make a US$100k+/yr living with health care off of an Open Source project) appears to be so difficult, because-- at least in the USA-- it is actually impossible.

-ken