[Ardour-Users] linux distro install tool info wanted

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Feb 6 07:42:41 PST 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Paul Davis wrote:

> 1 at a time please.
>
> please reply to the list with the
>
>   * name(s) of linux distribution(s)

Gentoo - I know this one has been covered before, but there may be a few
differences based on peoples' setups.

>   * name of the install tool for the distro

portage

>   * name of ardour package for the distro

media-sound/ardour

>   * actual command to install and to update ardour

USE="accessibility" emerge media-sound/ardour

I also have "media-sound/ardour ~x86" in /etc/portage/package.keywords to
allow emerge to use the Ardour ebuild from the ~x86 tree, which is
generally newer than the one in the x86 stable tree.

It is worth noting that in Gentoo, once you start getting into the ~x86
tree for ebuilds, you'll need to access many other ~x86 packages to
resolve broken dependencies, i.e. Ardour needs version XYZ of gtk+, but
that version of gtk+ is unavailable until you provide access to the ~x86
version.  These can be set explicitly in /etc/portage/package.keywords, as
noted above.

>   * name of special repository/ies worth knowing for the distro

Portage generally does a good job of resolving package dependencies at
build time, but the main bit would be ALSA, however I use the ALSA
implementation that's built into the kernel.

Other important repositories:
media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit
x11-libs/gtk+

>   * any other special pkg-mgmt based hints

I had to set the "accessibility" USE flag to build Ardour.

jms