[Ardour-Users] Plugin help

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 24 04:09:59 PST 2009

Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> Restoration and Noise Removal is one area Linux lacks in
> significantly.

IMO restoration and noise removal is something that is uninteresting for
audio engineering. I prefer vinyl, but if vinyl is broken, then it's
broken, there's no way to do any useful restoration with any tool for
any OS. How should this work? It's impossible. But okay, people have got
different needs and I believe that there are tools that do the best that
is possible. Maybe Wine/ Wineasio can be used to get some of the better
tools to do noise removal for vinyl.

I prefer noise prevention, but for sure there always is some noise, when
recording external equipment. The only useful way to eliminate noise is
to do it manually in silent parts, because this needs human thinking.
For some noise it's better to fade in and out to a lower level, related
to other tracks, were no silence is. Completely auto cut or auto reduce
noise most times will have an audible result.

Résumé:

We should focus on prevention instead of postprocessing.

By the way, I tend to add some noise and crackling to absolutely clean
produced digital recordings. But okay, we all prefer different flavours :).

--
Download Internet Explorer 8 and win a
Red Tick Beer