[Ardour-Users] not upgrading...

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 17 14:41:32 PST 2009

On Thursday 17 Dec 2009 11:11:30 Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 12/16/2009 11:53 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
>
> > Get it working. Then leave it alone. Do not think that the latest new
> > feature will help you bring your ideas to life - it will not. It will
> > only take up your time, time that could be spent playing music.
> >
> > I know professional studios who still run Atari STs with Cubase
> > version 1, because it works. They're not interested in the latest
> > features, they're interested in making music.
> >
> > Linux is a marvellous thing, but getting a Linux DAW to work is a
> > large investment of time. Once you have it working, leave it alone.
> > Leave it alone until the hardware stops working. It's the only way.
> >
> > This is my advice. See rule 2.
>
> sound advice, certainly. this approach will keep users sane who don't
> want too much of their energy tied up with computing issues.
>
> and here's the *but*:
> it doesn't really work in an open-source ecosystem, if you want support
> from developers and exchange with fellow users, because the latest and
> greatest is where it's at, with all the associated loss of productive time.

This is true. But, if you use closed-source software, how often do you upgrade? Every few years would be the norm I think. The latest and greatest is always 'where it's at' with any software. Why waste studio time upgrading just because the software is 'free'?

> in my view, time spent on getting the latest updates to run (and filing
> the appropriate bug reports en route) is my free software license fee.

I see it similarly, though I would express it more as "the price of free software is a pain in the ass". I'll do the stressing and bug reporting, but only when I want to (just as the developers to the developing only when they want to) - and certainly not when I need a system to be stable to complete a project.

> in doing so, i lose studio time, but i contribute directly to the
> improvement of the software, by finding bugs and helping (and getting
> help from) others on mailing lists and irc.

That's the spirit of open source and I'm all in favour of it.

> that does not invalidate your advice, though. to each their own.
> but can i suggest that the less people follow the latest development and
> provide feedback and quality assurance (yes, that's us who have to do it
> :), the more they should be encouranged to contribute financially.

An interesting thought, though what you're suggesting effectively amounts to a fee for staying with something stable.

I've been burned too many times (and lost too much useful time) by trying the latest and greatest (of loads of software, not just Ardour). I don't have issues with trying new versions and testing etc, but I will never ever again do it on my live system. That was really the advice I was trying to give. I think it was Ralf who suggested dual boot. That would always be my advice too.

0.0002p :)

Mark