[Ardour-Users] Shaky Ardour... (true love?

Noel Darlow mail at mcgruff.plus.com
Wed Dec 16 17:11:41 PST 2009

Hi

> If some wise person had got this message through to me in 2005, I
> might have two years of my life back!!! My dedicated DAW hasn't seen
> an "emerge --world" or whatever the Gentoo command is since about the
> start of 2008. And guess what--the world didn't end!!!! Might be time
> to get a newer Ardour, however...

Usually emerge world is pretty reliable but things can go wrong and
there's no easy way to retrace you steps.

What I do is first get all OS/apps stuff onto dedicated partitions. A
simple example would be a partition for /boot, one for /home and
another for everything else in "/". Next make a second partition for
each of /boot and "/".

Now you can do OS/apps backups to the mirror partitions. If you emerge
--world and bust something in the live OS, just switch over to the
mirrors and carry on working. When you have time, chroot in to the
broken OS and fix it.

In practice I use three HDDs: a small one for all the OS/apps
partitions, a big one for data, and finally a third for data backups
or apps which need a scratch disk.

Noel