[Ardour-Users] Shaky Ardour... (true love?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 16 14:53:57 PST 2009

On Wednesday 16 Dec 2009 22:12:04 Henry W. Peters wrote:
> Thank you all. Yes, I appreciate all the comments here. I suspect, at
> this point, there is no one answer, & it is appropriate that a diversity
> of experience & circumstance, will come up with some diversity of
> opinion & ideas, etc. & isn't that how creativity does (sometimes)
> happen?  I think it is very true, that one needs keep an open as
> possible mind regarding this Ardour program (my gut feeling keeps
> telling me), there is something important going on. In my case now, I am
> here, just trying to narrow any problems down, to make the true source/s
> apparent so that I can do what ever needs doing to enable a stable,
> flexible, system that allows for what creativity I contact, to flow,
> somehow. The $500+ programs can be great... as long as one believes that
> there will be some relatively equal sum available down the line for
> upgrades... etc. I see open source as a way to break this cycle (clearly
> not an original thought! & yes, sooner or later, the piper must be paid,
> but if we ourselves are the pipers, too...?).
>
> I have been trying to solve this puzzle, for what my system set up has
> become, for a course of maybe three years... trying this & trying that
> in various versions & distros of Linux, I think I am just beginning to
> understand some of the variables to enable me to articulate a little
> better experimentally, so that those whose experience in areas that are
> greater than mine, can more appropriately advise, with all the
> generosity they know how... even if it is to point me, say... over
> there---> (there (?)). & hopefully, I can help, somehow, in turn, the
> cycle of knowledge to continue, maybe even just by saying, with as much
> sincerity that I can muster: what the heck, here---> (here (?))?
>
> Henry

Henry,

I hear you, loud and clear.

All we want is a stable system that allows our creativity to flow. That's what is important. This is why you must:
1) Resists the urge to upgrade
2) Ignore advice
3) Do your own thing.

Get it working. Then leave it alone. Do not think that the latest new feature will help you bring your ideas to life - it will not. It will only take up your time, time that could be spent playing music.

I know professional studios who still run Atari STs with Cubase version 1, because it works. They're not interested in the latest features, they're interested in making music.

Linux is a marvellous thing, but getting a Linux DAW to work is a large investment of time. Once you have it working, leave it alone. Leave it alone until the hardware stops working. It's the only way.

This is my advice. See rule 2.

Mark