[Ardour-Users] lv2 and midi control

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Dec 10 17:56:18 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:00 PM, michael noble <looplog at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope you'll bear with me for continuing with this, but as I see it, if LV2
> is supposed to become the defacto plugin standard on linux for the future,
> and ardour wishes to support it, I don't see how this can not become a
> greater issue as time goes on.
>
> From what I can tell then, ardour is binding midi control not to the
> parameter per se, but to the ardour GUI element? Is this correct?

no.

the issue is that you have to initiate the binding by indicating what
you want to bind to. at the moment, this is done by a mouse event on
something that knows about a controllable parameter.

since an LV2 GUI is completely controlled by the plugin, and since the
plugin has no "controllable parameters" in the ardour sense of things,
the same *kind* of binding can't be initiated with the LV2 GUI.  and
since ardour2 does not pass MIDI to plugins, the plugin can't do it
all by itself.

for entirely unrelated reasons, i have started a complete overhaul of
the binding system in ardour3 tonight. it doesn't automatically lead
to the promised land, and your suggestion about bind-initiating GUI
elements in the automation track is one option to help (offering up
the "generic" Ardour plugin GUI for binding is another), it will be an
important part of things. that is because in the new world, bindings
are not to controllable parameters at all, but to URIs that describe
parameters abstractly - what they point to may change (think about
bank switching on a control surface).

--p