[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linu

david headon davidheadonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 23 14:24:55 PDT 2009

Bravo-

Succinctly put too.

 John, you have continuously shown a huge amount of insight both technically, and idealogically.
My ideal concept of a multimedia environment blessed with full accelerated 3D etc, has been a problem due to several NvidiA related problems, under several distros. (exaple...)

I have used Debian 64Studio for a while as my princial 'serious' recording environment.
(used various RedHat based distros in the past including Mandrake-Driva, as well as early Slackware and more )
The move of 64 studio toward an Ubuntu style package management system has caused formerly available packages to disappear from repros, and be replaced by ?????

also the folks i know who MUST use Mac are ProTools users, and this is an industry based conceit that i'll not allow myself.

Anything is better than running Windows and a huge pile of intivirus clag all the time, so you can choose between immedeiate functionaliy, or eventual perfection.

I choose the latter all the time. I WAS a Lego influences child once though-
;-)

buyer 'lock-in' is annother conceit i can't abide with.
Jack/Ardour and the rest are my future, and i feel free.

i do wish things would become less flaky in the Ubuntu releases.
Nvidia and others can contribute better, but there sre ways around these issues that are easy for Suse users for example.

i may have to start again in my 'Distro Search'
for multimedia use.

I know i don't need  a Mac though!

David Headon would love you to drop in...

myspace.com/davidheadon

myspace.com/greenheadman

virb.com/evictionparty

youtube.com/davidheadon