[Ardour-Users] OSX vs Linu

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 11:32:38 PDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:45 AM, Rob Quin <robquin at uklinux.net> wrote:

> I agree with all the points made so far but I would like to add my own
> thoughts.
>
> Linux is a DIY operating system. The price we pay is that we engage with
> the
> process of its development by tinkering with it and feeding our experiences
> back into that process. That all takes time but that is a price that I'm
> happy to pay to be in control of my system. I have experimented with some
> of
> the "Out of the Box" Linuxs struggled with them as I try to undo the
> assumptions that they make about how I want things. I always come back to
> plain old Debian and set it up the way that I want.

For the record, I strongly disagree with the concept that any distribution
of Linux needs to be a DIY system.  That defeats one of the main purposes of
distributions, otherwise we would all run LFS.

Just because that is the current state of things for professional audio NOW,
doesn't mean that it has to remain that way.  That is incorrect thinking on
what a distribution should be doing IMO.

Heck look at the general Desktop usage.  I have previously, on multiple
occasions, set up desktops for people, and because those desktops just did
the expected things, never had to touch them again, and the only
customization I had to do out of the box is the same customization I would
have had to do on any OS, namely integrate it into a Lab environment for
instance by setting up Samba, VNC, or similar.

It isn't perfect, but it is much better than our current standing in
professional audio situations and constantly improving.  And there is no
reason that our current standing in professional audio situations with
particular distributions couldn't also improve to this point.

       Seablade