[Ardour-Users] Offsetting a ruler

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Aug 22 07:04:51 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM, John Emmas<johne53 at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Davis"
>>
>> bar1 has to be at frame zero for the foreseeable future because there
>> is absolutely no concept of "negative" BBT time.
>>
> Do you mean in Ardour, or in real life Paul?  In real life a "count in" is a
> good example of negative BBT time.

I mean in ardour. Its not that the data structures can't hold negative
values (actually, i haven't checked on this). its just that there is
an assumption built deep into the code (since ardour started
supporting BBT time) that BBT time starts at 1|1|0, which corresponds
to absolute zero, and is never "less" than this. its one thing to
count backwards 9 beats. its something else to count back 9 beats and
end up -2|3|0 ....

> I don't know enough about Ardour to pontificate but in my imagination, I can
> envisage it being very useful if rulers could be offset against each other.
> Maybe this is a good candidate for a sponsored feature?

That's for potential sponsors to judge, not me. It is a highly, deeply
non-trivial feature.