[Ardour-Users] Question from a new list member

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Oct 24 06:05:44 PDT 2008

m.eik michalke wrote:
> hello christian,
>
> am Freitag, 24. Oktober 2008 (13:57) schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>
>> sudo dpkg -i ardour_2.5-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb
>>

> i wouldn't recommend this manual approach of installing packages, because you
> will end up in dependency purgatory if the desired package craves for other
> packages. you don't want to wget them all by hand...
>
> as of ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon), all packages of the ubuntu studio project
> (http://ubuntustudio.org) are part of the ordinary ubuntu repos. so basically
> all it should take to install ardour on a running hardy system should be to
>
>  sudo aptitude install ardour
>
> on a console. there are metapackages like "ubuntustudio-audio"
> and "ubuntustudio-audio-plugins" if you want to install an "all you need"
> audio suite. the "linux-rt" package might be a good idea too, to get a kernel
> with real time support. so instead of the above, type
>
>  sudo aptitude install ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins linux-rt
>
> and wait for the installation to finish.
>

> viele gruesse :: m.eik

Yes, this is the better way to do it, as I've written, I'm not familiar
with Ubuntu, but doing this take care that the repositories are updated
by running

sudo apt-get update

I guess the repository for updates is enabled by default, maybe there is
the latest version of Ardour.

After installing a kernel-rt you might have to do some settings.

The user has to be member of the group audio.

Check this by running the command

groups

If needed add a the group by running

sudo useradd -G audio your_username

Check by running an editor with sudo, that /etc/security/limits.conf is
set to something like this, resp. add this, if there are no entries for
'audio':

@audio   -  rtprio     99
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
@audio   -  nice      -19

You don't have to do this, if you'll install 64 Studio 2.1, that is Debian based like Ubuntu.