[Ardour-Users] yo, tell ardour.org about your preferred plugins

John Rigg au at sound-man.co.uk
Sat Oct 18 04:10:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 02:09:03PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> for eqing, fons' FIL plugin. unfortunately no shelves.

FIL is my most-used EQ plugin.
I also use simple low-pass and high-pass quite a lot.

> for reverb, fons' REV gives usable results. (based on juhana's gverb,
> which i've used in the past, but which has been unstable for me.)
> it's the best i've heard on linux, but not on par with commercial
> offerings.

gverb and REV have more or less replaced my hardware reverbs (Lexicon
etc.) as I like the sound and ease of adjustment. Complex room
simulations are not their strong point, but with a bit of tweaking
they can be made to sound very good. (gverb has been stable here on my
amd64 system BTW).

> for dynamics control, i use steve's SC4 almost exclusively. i've seen it
> barf every once in a while, but not often enough to be really annoying.
> it's a difficult beast to control, but with the right settings it gives
> good results. i'd like a more "analog", softer alternative, though. hard
> to describe...

SC4 gets used a lot here (mono and stereo versions).

I can usually get by with just the aforementioned plugins for mixing.
A huge plus for me with all of the Ardour LADSPA plugins is
the plain user interface.

One minor nitpick. Somewhere around 2.4 the order of the
plugins list changed from alphabetical to being grouped in categories.
This would be OK they were grouped consistently, but there are enough
exceptions to make it awkward to find the right plugin sometimes.

John