[Ardour-Users] CD Burning

John Rigg au at sound-man.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 04:58:40 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:17:44AM +0100, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 11:08 +0100, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 21:03 +1100, Greg Vaughan wrote:
> > > Hey Guys is there any information... (other than page 6 of the manual)
> > > on how to create a CD from my lovely recorded tracks? GCDM is
> > > hopelessly out of date and won't recognise my DVD Writer... Brasero
> > > and K3b do not want to play with the .toc file... I have only ever
> > > compressed down to mp3 for the web but now need to produce a physical
> > > demo...
> >
> > google for cdrdao (which does disk-at-once burning, hence the name).
>
> oops. since GCDM is based on cdrdao, if it is not recognizing your
> writer then neither will cdrdao ...

cdrdao needs to be told which device and driver to use, either on the
command line or in a configuration file. Here's my /etc/default/cdrdao
file:

write_driver: "generic-mmc-raw"
write_device: "ATA:1,0,0"
write_buffers: 32
read_paranoia_mode: 3

I use cdrecord (or wodim on Debian). Here are the relevant lines from my
/etc/default/cdrecord file:

CDR_DEVICE=cdrw
CDR_FIFOSIZE=4m
cdrw=		ATA:1,0,0	-1	-1	burnfree

These assume that the DVD burner is master on the second IDE bus.
Details are in the cdrdao and cdrecord manpages if you need to
change that.

John