[Ardour-Users] embedded ogg/mp3

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Nov 10 23:43:06 PST 2008

Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:23 +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>> The compressed versions are noticeably cleaner to my ear.
>>

> psycho-acoustically compression ALWAYS removes information from the
> data. you might prefer the result, but you cannot possibly claim that it
> is an improvement in "quality".
So, if I played a compressed file with a jack aware app and record it
with Ardour then play it would I get the same result as if I convert it
to wave, import it and then play it in Ardour?

I'm confused because once the information has been removed it should not
be possible to get it back again but also the conversion from compressed
to uncompressed should not change the audio quality. So why is it that a
file converted to wave from ogg/mp3 sounds less dynamic and flatter than
the compressed version?

Is it because there is more room so the remaining parts sound more
isolated/distant?

Maybe cleaner is the wrong word. I think the compressed tracks sound
fuller and more upfront.

However there are a lot of peaks in the files that I have converted.
They probably weren't there when they were first compressed.

Anyway I don't want to detract from anything it's more of an
observation. Maybe it is all to do with the converters I used?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.