[Ardour-Users] exporting individual tracks for mixing

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri May 23 01:57:02 PDT 2008

Quoting francis keyes <fkeymo at gmail.com>:

> Hey All,
>
> I have an Ardour  session with about 30 audio tracks, each of which
> contains
> several regions.   I have done some gain control work with envelops but
> I'm
> not using any plugins.  What is the cleanest (no lost quality) way to
> export
> the tracks individually so that I can give them to a mixing engineer?

This is something that ardour sadly doesn't do intuitively.

My solution would be to freeze ("bounce") each track and then find the audio
files for the frozen regions in the interchage/etc/etc. directory and send
those to the mixing engineer.

Freezing doesn't apply gain, automation or panning though.

Another option would be to create new tracks - one for each track to be
exported - then connect the input of each "export" track to the output of
the original one. Then arm all export tracks and run the session through
with rec on. Then find the audio files for the "export" tracks (finding is
substantially easier if you name the export tracks distinctively).

  Sampo