[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sat May 17 04:10:45 PDT 2008

Paypal issues aside, I was thinking about what has made me subscribe to software in the past. I came up with a few things, in order of precedence for me personally.

1) Nag screens. A window where I have to press 'OK' before the program will start, which I can get rid of by subscribing (ie I pay and get a code which I enter and which makes the nag go away). The OK button should wait no more than 3 seconds before becoming enabled. Longer than that gets annoying and stops me using the program at all, but no delay makes it too easy to ignore the window. If I use the program a lot and I think it's good, that nag will get to my conscience eventually. Now I know, with Ardour being open-source, that this kind of thing is easy to circumvent *but* of all the people who use it, I reckon a great many use a package from their distro and have neither the time, inclination, or knowledge to alter the source and build it to remove this screen. Added to that, the people who use packages may not ever visit the website and are therefore unaware of the fact they can subscribe.

2) An explanation of what the money is used for. This might sound like a strange request but... this is free software, it's open source. Paul is committed to giving the software away for free. So, if I subscribe, am I just giving him extra beer money? How does my money contribute to faster or better development of Ardour? I know this might seem like a rude, cheeky, or downright arsey question to those who already know the answer but to those who don't know the answer, who don't understand the real picture, it is a genuine concern. It'd be good to have, on the website and linked to from the nag screen, a brief explanation of *how* and *why* a subscription will improve Ardour. Basically, people want to know what they're getting for their money, and if they can get the software for free that really isn't obvious. Something like '10 dollars pays for one guy to spend x hours a month on Ardour that he would otherwise spend cleaning toilets' or something like that.

And to be honest, that's it. I've subscribed to a lot of stuff over the years when it nagged me and I thought it was worth it. If it hadn't been for the nags, I wouldn't even have known I could subscribe.

mark