[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

yawfle yawfle at nospammail.net
Fri May 16 08:04:37 PDT 2008

On Fri, 16 May 2008 23:26:36 +1000, "porl sheean"
<porl42 at gmail.com> said:

> something similar though may be that subscribers get 'credit' to vote
> on set lists of options...

I was having very much the same thought, giving subscribers cumulative
credits that can be "spent" to add weight to a multiple choice list of
features/fixes/etc... also, I was pondering that the scale of credit
"earnings" could increase over the duration of a subscription, much like
most wage scales. This would provide some incentive for *keeping*
subscriptions, which seems like an important aspect of the matter at
hand.

As much as I like this idea, it would probably only be a small part of a
solution, but might combine well with other, more outward-directed
efforts at bringing in a larger user base (I agree with others that the
core heavy user count is probably not very closely related to number of
downloads - this would have to be even more true for enticing software
that turns out to have a steep learning curve than it is in the general
case). Once users have overcome initial hurdles to adoption, and
developed some sense of what Ardor is, isn't, and potentially may be
capable of, they would have an incentive to maintain a relationship,
financial and otherwise, with the development community. I have the
impression that the Madtracker user experience resembles this somewhat,
from what I've briefly seen. Some of that might translate to an open
source project... or not. :) My two cents.