[Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 15 23:15:09 PDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Symons" <ardour at iove.org>
Sent: 16 May 2008 04:00
Subject: Re: [Ardour-Users] subscription support down, your ideas sought

> If we are talking survival and subsistence of the existing pace of ardour
> development, I reckon bringing in new ideas and developers, to write more
> open source code is a better long term plan than raising subscription
> numbers.

I don't want to be putting words into Paul's mouth but I think the problem
here is that one won't come without the other.  As Paul stated yesterday,
there are still some significant barriers to Ardour gaining wider adoption.
And I know from my own limited involvement that some of those hurdles need
(quite literally) a full-time commitment if the work is ever going to get
done.  I've been plugging away at AAF connectivity for nearly 18 months.
I haven't worked full time but I reckon I've done about 19-20 weeks worth of
work and am only now reaching the stage of having something deliverable
(and that's only IMPORT.  Export will add at least another 15 weeks' work.
OMF could add 30 weeks on top of that).

If Paul's aim is to bring in some full-time programmers and perhaps to put
Ardour in a position where it could finance more part time work, then it's
clear that the current monthly income would need to skyrocket.  My guess is
that monthly income would need to increase to at least 15-20 times its
current level for this to be sustainable.

II've read some great suggestions during the past few days but in truth,
none of them on it's own, has the potential to deliver that magnitude of
increase.  In fact, it's doubtful that this problem has any 'magic bullet'
solution ,  What's probably needed is a collection of different initiatives,
all contributing in their own small way.  And a spread of income would be
inherently more stable anyway.

It's just another consideration to add to the pot but Ardour's current
financial problems most probably stem from its reliance on too small a
number of initiatives.  I strongly believe that in the longer term,  the
most sustainable solution will be found by favouring a wider variety of
income raising measures.

John